You and Your Health
Health Tip: Keeping a Diabetes Notebook for Your Child
A notebook of instructions and helpful information will make it easier to stay organized when your diabetic child gets sick.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions for what to include in the notebook:
* A list of your doctor’s guidelines, including recommendations for when to call.
* Daytime and after-hours phone numbers for your child’s diabetes care team.
* Copies of important documents, such as your child’s insurance card.
* A meal plan that will provide your child with 50 grams of carbohydrates every three or four hours.
* Over-the-counter medications that won’t interfere with other meds or affect blood glucose.
* A list of what your child has eaten, including blood glucose readings, insulin administered and carbohydrate counts.