Photo: Bruce Beresford
A court in the Mexican resort city of Cancun has rejected an appeal filed by former “Survivor” producer Bruce Beresford and ordered the American citizen to remain in prison until his trial for the 2010 murder of wife Monica Burgos is completed, officials said.
The court rejected an appeal filed by the former television producer in an effort to remain free until his trial was completed, the Quintana Roo Attorney General’s Office said in a statement.
Beresford, who was behind the “Survivor” and “Pimp My Ride” series, has exhausted his appeals and must now await the end of his trial.
The television producer is being held at the Cancun jail on murder charges.
Beresford reported his wife missing to Cancun police on April 6, 2010.
Burgos’s body was discovered two days later in a septic tank located some 80 meters (about 88 yards) from the hotel room the couple had shared with their two children.
The television producer was asked to surrender his passport and was placed in the custody of the U.S. Consulate in Cancun to prevent him from fleeing Mexico.
Beresford, however, showed up at his Los Angeles home in late May 2010, saying he left Mexico because no charges had been filed against him and he had to return to work and take care of his children.
The Mexican Attorney General’s Office responded by issuing a formal arrest warrant for the suspect.
Beresford was arrested by U.S. marshals at his Los Angeles residence on Nov. 16, 2010, and extradited to Mexico on Feb. 8, 2012.