Photo: Andres Iniesta
FC Barcelona star midfielder Andres Iniesta has agreed to a contract extension that will keep him at Camp Nou at least until 2018, the club’s president, Sandro Rosell, announced Thursday.
During the team’s traditional Christmas lunch with members of the media, Rosell said of the agreement between management and the player that “we’ve shaken hands on it and, with Andres, that’s all that matters.”
He added that the new contract would probably be made official on Monday and include a player option for additional two years that would depend on games played.
Barça’s technical director, Andoni Zubizarreta, had said a few months ago that Iniesta, whose contract had been due to expire in 2015, would be signed to an extension before the end of 2014.
“We’re very, very pleased to have finished renewing Andres’ (contract). It’s a great Christmas gift,” Rosell said, though declining to offer more details about the deal.
Iniesta, 29, came up through Barcelona’s highly touted youth system and has been a key member of Blaugrana teams that have won three Champions League titles and six La Liga crowns over the past decade.
The midfielder also has been a major figure for the Spanish national soccer team, scoring the winning goal for La Roja in its victory over the Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup final.