The Minister of Public Health in Dominican Republican, Bautista Rojas Gomez, has reported that three new cases of cholera have been confirmed over the weekend bringing the total to 7.
The first two involves a Haitian girl, 7, and a 12-year old boy. The girl, a resident of Villa Gonzalez, was being treated at the Dr. Arturo Grullon Children’s Hospital in Santiago and the boy is being treated at the San Lorenzo Hospital in Los Mina in Santo Domingo East. Both children were said to be “in good condition.”
On Sunday another case was announced by Rojas Gomez, this time a five-year old girl, a cousin of the 12-year old boy. The latest victim is being treated at the Cabral Children’s Hospital in Santo Domingo. The minister also revealed that four of the seven patients so far are all members of the same family and live side by side in the Dique sector.
Minister Rojas Gomez told reporters that more than 100,000 people would be taking part in the ministry’s outreach program to inform people about the disease and how to prevent it.