1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Sunday May 6, 2012

95% of Bananas from Dominican Republic Went to Europe in 2010

95% of Bananas from Dominican Republic Went to Europe in 2010

Photo: Dominican Republic exported 303,000 tons of bananas in 2010

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

According to DR1, the Dominican Republic exported bananas to Europe for a total of US$198,000,000 in 2010, through the sale of 303,000 tons of bananas.

European Union ambassador, Irene Horejs, provided the figures and noted that the sale of the fruit had benefitted over 300,000 people, both directly and indirectly. She said that 95% of the bananas from the Dominican Republic go to Europe while the other 5% go to the United States, Japan and the Antilles.

The country has preferential access to the European Union market through the Lome IV Agreement. Exports have increased at a rate of 16% per year since 2000.

Tags

There are no tags for this entry.