You and Your Health
Take Care of Arthritic Joints
Even everyday activities can strain stiff and inflamed arthritic joints.
The Arthritis Foundation offers these suggestions to help tame arthritis stiffness and pain:
* Avoid too many activities that hurt your joints. Use aids—such as zipper pulls or jar openers—to make such tasks easier.
* Try to lift with muscles and joints that are largest and strongest, and cause the least amount of pain.
* Don’t stay in the same position for too long.
* Strike a good balance between physical activity and resting when you need it.
* Listen to pain as a sign that you’ve pushed yourself too hard, and take it easier next time.
* Get help from friends and family when faced with a challenge that’s too tough.