You and Your Health
How to Keep Kids Active on Holiday Break
Photo: How to Keep Kids Active on Holiday Break
Top 10 Ways to Keep Kids Off the Couch This Holiday Break
* While watching TV, have a contest who can come up with the most fun exercise during commercial breaks like jump roping with an invisible rope .
* Bring a football, soccer ball, basketball on vacation. Get outside with them and join the fun or invite a bunch of kids over to join in.
* Head to the Mall – you can walk, window shop, and burn some extra energy at the mall.
* Indoor Activity Centers – Visit Indoor Jump Houses, Indoor Trampoline Houses, and Indoor Playgrounds that have open play for kids.
* Walk to see the Holiday Lights – instead of piling in the car to drive the neighborhood, walk to see the holiday lights.
* Develop an indoor scavenger hunt – Depending on the age of your children, you can develop a hunt that will get the kids moving around the house. – Try “Safari Hide and Seek” –hide the Elephant and different animal toys and the child has to find it.
* Have a Challenge – See who can do the most sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks or any other activity that will get your kids heart’s pumping.
* Buy Active Holiday presents – try to purchase at least one present for the kids that will get them up and moving. A Skipping rope, movement based video game, or even a hacky sack will encourage more movement.
* Train and Race in a Charity Run together – many towns have holiday fun runs for charity. You can train together for the big event and then run or walk the race together.
* Create A Holiday Tradition - Whether it’s a yearly ski trip, a trip to the woods to cut a Christmas Tree, or a visit to the outdoor skating rink – replace sedentary holiday traditions with more active ones.