You and Your Health
Health Tip: When a Doctor Should Evaluate Diaper Rash
Photo: When should a doctor evaulate diaper rash?
Signs that medical attention may be needed
Diaper rash is usually easily treated and isn’t a cause for concern. But severe cases may require a doctor’s care.
The American Academy of Family Physicians mentions these warning signs that diaper rash should be evaluated by a medical professional:
* If the rash occurs before 6 weeks of age.
* If the rash is accompanied by ulcers, pimples or a fever.
* If the infant also has weight loss and a poor appetite.
* If the rash is characterized by large bumps.
* If the rash spreads to other areas.
* If the rash doesn’t improve after a week of treatment.