You and Your Health
Health Tip: Teach Your Child Bullying is Wrong
Preventing bullying must start at home, so parents must set a good example and discourage the practice whenever possible.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests how to discuss bullying with your child:
* Explain that bullying is never acceptable.
* Set rules around any aggressive behavior, making sure to be firm and consistent in enforcing them.
* Lead by example; show your child that you don’t need to threaten or embarrass others to get what you want.
* Discipline in a non-physical way, such as by taking away privileges.
* If your child has a history of bullying, work with school faculty to develop an appropriate solution.