You and Your Health
Health Tip: Some Foods and Drinks That Trigger Heartburn
Photo: Certain foods can trigger heartburn
Here’s what to avoid
If you’re prone to the painful burn of heartburn, don’t just pop an antacid—watch what you eat to avoid getting heartburn in the first place.
The American Gastroenterological Association lists these foods and drinks to avoid, as they may trigger heartburn:
* Foods that are high in fat or fried.
* Foods with chocolate or peppermint.
* Alcoholic beverages, beverages with carbonation and all coffee.
* Mustard and ketchup, as well as tomato sauces.
* Acidic substances such as vinegar, citrus juices and citrus fruits.