You and Your Health
Health Tip: Pack Your Holiday Leftovers Carefully
Photo: Holiday Leftovers Tips
When packing up your holiday leftovers, make sure they’re properly stored to prevent foodborne illness.
The American Dietetic Association offers these suggestions for safe storage of your holiday leftovers:
* Make sure all storage containers are airtight and shallow.
* Place all leftovers in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking.
* Pull turkey off the bone and package it separately from stuffing and gravy.
* Eat refrigerated turkey, casseroles or cooked vegetables within three or four days; eat stuffing or gravy within one or two days.
* Eat pies made with cream or fruit within two or three days; cheesecake within seven days.
* Make sure leftovers are reheated to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
* If in doubt, throw it out.