You and Your Health
Health Tip: Opt for a Healthy Weight-Loss Plan
Photo: Health Tip: Opt for a Healthy Weight-Loss Plan
Avoid fad diets
Fad diets may promise drastic and quick loss of weight, but may be dangerous and often fall short when it comes to long-term weight loss.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for a selecting a healthy eating plan:
* Never skip meals, including breakfast.
* Eat a variety of nutritious foods, rather than sticking to just a few foods.
* Restrict consumption of sugar, sodium, saturated fats and cholesterol.
* Avoid beverages that are high in calories.
* Limit portion sizes.
* Get plenty of regular exercise. Increase daily physical activity in simple ways, such as by parking further from your destination.