You and Your Health
Health Tip: How to Spot Underage Drinking
Photo: How to Spot Underage Drinking
More children abuse alcohol than tobacco or illicit drugs
Besides being illegal, underage drinking can endanger a young person’s physical and emotional health, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
The CDC says underage drinkers are more likely than other peers to have:
* Problems at school, including more absences and poor grades.
* Problems maintaining friendships and relationships.
* Problems with the legal system.
* Frequent hangovers or illnesses, drug abuse and problems with memory.
* Cases of alcohol poisoning.
* Car accidents.
* Increased risk of sexual or physical assault, suicide or homicide, or unplanned pregnancy.
* Problems affecting brain development.