You and Your Health
Health Tip: Help Contain Conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis, commonly called pinkeye, is a contagious infection affecting the membrane that covers the white part of the eye and the inner eyelid. The eyes of someone with conjunctivitis can appear very red and irritated.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help prevent the spread of pinkeye:
* Do not touch a person who has pinkeye.
* Do not touch objects (such as towels or tissues) touched by a person with pinkeye.
* Stay away from a person with pinkeye who is coughing or sneezing.
* Don’t swim with a person who has pinkeye.
* Keep kids home from school or daycare when they have pinkeye.
* Wash hands carefully and often throughout the day.