You and Your Health
Health Tip: Getting Ready for Childbirth
Photo: Create a birth plan
Creating a birth plan means making a list of your preferences for labor and delivery.
The American Academy of Pediatricians says birth-planning should include your preferences about:
* Whether someone calls the doctor’s office when you go into labor, or do you simply head for the hospital?
* Transportation to the hospital.
* Where you’ll deliver, who will be present and who you would like to deliver your baby.
* Your preferences for position during labor, and pain management options.
* Your preferences if unexpected circumstances arise, including the possibility of cesarean section.
* In the event that you deliver early, does the facility have the resources to care for a premature baby?