You and Your Health
Health Tip: Figure Out Why You Yawn Excessively
Keep a log for your doctor.
But yawning too much could signal a larger medical issue.
To help your doctor pinpoint why you yawn so much, the University of Maryland Medical Center says you should track the following factors in a log:
* When you first noticed that you were yawning, and how often you yawn.
* The time of day that you yawn a lot, including after certain activities (such as eating or exercising).
* Any locations that seem to trigger your yawning.
* What seems to increase your yawning, such as insufficient sleep, changes in activity, medications or boredom.
* Anything that helps your yawning improve.
* Any other symptoms that accompany yawning.