You and Your Health
Health Tip: Dine Out the Healthy Way
Photo: Suggestions for eating right
Suggestions for eating right
Decadent dishes and hefty portion sizes can be tempting at a restaurant, but you can enjoy your meal without derailing a healthy diet.
The American Dietetic Association suggests how to make healthy choices when dining out:
* Opt for an entree salad or other healthy dish that includes something from each of the main food groups.
* If choosing a sandwich, top it with fresh vegetables and low-fat condiments or salad dressings.
* Choose healthy side dishes, such as a baked potato topped with vegetables, a side salad, or some fruit. Skip the fries.
* Choose low-calorie dishes.
* Eat only a portion of your meal, saving the rest for later.