You and Your Health
Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Post-Partum Depression?
It’s common for a woman to become depressed during or just after a pregnancy. The timing and specific symptoms tend to vary by person.
The womenshealth.gov website mentions these risk factors for developing postpartum depression:
* Having had depression or another form of mental illness before pregnancy.
* Having a family history of depression or another mental illness.
* Lacking support from friends and family.
* Having negative or anxious feelings about being pregnant.
* Having had a prior pregnancy or delivery with complications.
* Being stressed about money or personal relationships.
* Engaging in substance abuse.
* Becoming pregnant at an early age.