You and Your Health
Health Reform: A Phone Call from the President
Photo: Affordable healthcare act
One year ago Wednesday, President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law. It was a historic day, and the law is already making a difference in the lives of millions of Americans like Erick Moberg.
Erick is currently a senior at Michigan State University and his dream is to attend medical school at his grandfather’s alma mater in Missouri. Erick was always interested in medicine, but he was inspired after speaking to the doctors who treated his mother when she had quadruple bypass surgery.
After he graduates this spring, Erick will be taking a year to enhance his skills and prepare his application. Under the old insurance rules, he would have been forced off his parent’s health insurance plan. But now, thanks to the Affordable Care Act, Erick will be able to stay on his mother’s plan.
We interviewed Erick, and as he told his story, he received a surprise phone call from President Obama
Erick is just one example of the millions of Americans who are being helped by the new law. After just one year, Americans are enjoying:
New coverage options
* Children with pre-existing conditions cannot be denied coverage in new health plans.
* Adults who have been locked out of the insurance marketplace because of a pre-existing condition can now buy coverage through a new Pre-Existing Condition Plan.
Better quality coverage
* People with insurance are free from worrying about losing their insurance due to a mistake on an application, or having it capped unexpectedly if someone is in an accident or becomes sick.
* All Americans in new insurance plans will receive preventive services without being charged a deductible, co-payment, or co-insurance.
* Seniors have the freedom to get the care they need, including free preventive care, lower cost prescription drugs, and Medicare they can count on. Nearly 4 million Americans who hit the Medicare prescription drug coverage gap known as the “donut hole” received $250 tax-free rebates, and will receive a 50% discount on brand name prescription drugs if they hit the donut hole this year.
* Up to 4 million small businesses could receive tax credits to make employees’ health coverage more affordable.
* Insurance companies can no longer overcharge consumers just to boost profits and CEO salaries.
Visit www.HealthCare.gov to learn more about the new law and the work we’re doing to deliver the benefits of reform to the American people. For step-by-step instructions on the young adult coverage provision that helped Erick, you can also visit www.facebook.com/YoungAdultCoverage.