Summer Salad from Central Mexico Recipe
Photo: Summer Salad from Central Mexico
This is an example of a salad one may find in the restaurants of Mexico City; it celebrates traditional Mexican flavors with fresh ingredients.
Summer is here, V&V Supremo; one of the nation’s oldest family-run Hispanic food business, wants to share some authentic recipes to celebrate ¡a la Mexicana!
Summer Salad from Central Mexico
FOR THE SALAD
16 Cherry tomatoes, washed, cut in half
1 Large avocado, diced medium
5 Oz. young salad greens
1 Large sweet onion (such as Vidalia) peeled, sliced in thin rings
8.8 oz. pkg. V&V SUPREMO® DEL CARIBE® Cheese diced
½ Cup of raw pumpkinseeds (without shells)
FOR THE DRESSING
½ Cup fresh lime juice
1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Bunch cilantro, washed and chopped
1 Fresh serrano or jalapeno chile
1 Tsp. salt
- 1. Toast pumpkinseeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until they start to pop and turn brown (about 5 minutes). Let cool.
- 2. Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend well.
- 3. Place tomatoes and avocado in a bowl with about 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Mix well.
- 4. Toss greens in a large bowl with enough dressing to lightly coat them.
Divide greens among 4 plates. Place ¼ of the tomato-avocado mixture in the center of each plate. Scatter ¼ of the V&V SUPREMO® DEL CARIBE® cheese and pumpkin seeds over each serving, and arrange 3 or 4 onion rings on top.
Variations, Tips, Shortcuts
- Substitute V&V SUPREMO® QUESO FRESCO or QUESO *RANCHERITO® for the V&V SUPREMO® DEL CARIBE®
- Use pre-toasted shelled pumpkinseeds
- Dressing can be made ahead-it will keep for 1 week
- Tomatoes and avocado can be dressed 2 hours before serving
- Increase serving size and top with grilled chicken for an entrée
Yields 4 servings