Skillet-Roasted Strip Steaks with Pebre Sauce & Avocado Recipe
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
1 medium-large tomato, seeded and diced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons minced jalapeño, or Serrano pepper
2 tablespoons red-wine or cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 8- to 10-ounce New York strip (top loin) steaks, trimmed
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 avocados, pitted and peeled
1. To prepare Pebre Sauce: Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak for 10 to 20 minutes. Drain. Combine the onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeño (or Serrano), vinegar, garlic and 1/4-teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
3. To prepare steak: Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2-teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks.
4. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high. Add the steaks and cook just until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steaks 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, mash avocados with the remaining 1/4-teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
6. Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve with the avocado and Pebre Sauce.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: The Pebre Sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.