Mexican Sweet Corn Cake
This is a tasty little side dish that is more like a corn pudding, but I have known others to fry the dough into a pancake. Masa Harina, one of the ingredients, means corn flour. It can be found at major grocery chains or you can find it at a store that specializes in Hispanic foods.
• 1/4 cup butter
• 2 tablespoons shortening
• 1/2 cup masa harina
• 5 tablespoons cold water (may add more to reach consistency of cookie dough)
• 10 ounces frozen corn kernals
• 3 tablespoons cornmeal
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons whipping cream
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whip butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
3 . Add Masa harina slowly and mix thoroughly.
4. Add water until cookie dough consistency and mix.
5. Blend in corn kernels.
6 . Mix cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder, and salt separately in a large bowl.
7. Add masa harina mixture and mix until blended.
8. Grease an 8x10 square pan and pour mixture into pan.
9. Cover pan with foil and bake.
10. Bake 40-50 minutes at 350 until it is consistency of custard.
11. Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
12. May serve with an ice cream scoop or cut into squares.
13. You may use a food processor and add ingredients as specified above.