Add this delicious side to a skirt stake diner and you will leave your family wanting more!
- 2 cups (10 oz/315g) long-grain white rice
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz/60ml) oil
- 1/3 onion, in chunk
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 4 cups (32 fl oz/1 l) chicken stock
- 1 small spring parsley
- 3 whole chiles serranos
- ½ cup (4 oz/125 g) chopped carrot
- ¼ cup (1 oz/30g) shelled green peas
- Soak the rice for 5 minutes in warm water rinse well and drain. Meanwhile, puree the tomatoes in a blender and stain.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the rice and sauté, stirring, until translucent and the grains separate. Pour off excess oil.
- Add the pureed tomatoes to the skillet with the rice. Cook for 4 minutes and add the stock, parsley, chiles, carrot and peas. When the mixture comes to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.