Avocado & Chicken Enchiladas
Photo: Avocado & Chicken Enchiladas
The Hass Avocado Board (HAB) announced Saborea Uno Hoy, its new Spanish-language mark and website to offer information to Hispanic consumers in the United States and encourage them to include fresh Hass avocados in their everyday meals. Check out the following recipe:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
2 chicken breasts large or 3 chicken thighs ((*) or vegetarian option: 1 cup spaghetti squash)
1 / 2 large white onion, peeled, chopped and divided
6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 chilies, moderately spicy (Anaheim, Jalapeno or Serrano), stemmed and seeded
1 cup white or purple cabbage, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Fresh large ripe avocado, cut lengthwise, seeded and diced peel and
1 / 2 cupsour cream calorie
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon chili powder (chili powder)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro, divided
1 teaspoon salt
12 corn tortillas
8 oz. (2 cups) fresh or ranchero cheese, grated
1 / 2 cupof fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream tasteless low calorie
To prepare the sauce
1 lb.. tomatillos (about 7-9 tomatillos) peeled and washed
3 jalapenos, serranos or chiles de arbol
1 / 4 cupwhite onion
1 / 4 cupcilantro leaves
1 / 2 cupwater or chicken broth (broth from cooking the chicken)
1 Fresh large ripe avocado, cut lengthwise, peeled and seeded
Salt to taste
1 Fresh large ripe avocado, cut lengthwise, peeled, seeded and sliced
1. Heat oven to 350 ° F.
2. Place raw chicken in a pot with water and bring to a boil with ¼ onion, coriander leaves and a pinch of sea salt. Cooking the chicken. Remove from the water and let cool. Shred chicken and set aside.
3. To prepare the salsa verde, tomatillos and jalapenos boiled in water for 10 minutes or until tender. Do not let the tomatillos shell breakage. Drain and cut the stems of the jalapenos.
4. Place the tomatillos, jalapenos and the remaining green sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor along with water or chicken broth. Mix until well blended, and add salt to taste.
5. Place the green sauce in a pot, cover and heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and cook ½ cup chopped onions, garlic and chili peppers until onions are translucent and tender. Add the cabbage and continue cooking until tender.
7. Stir in chicken (or vegetarian *) to the vegetable mixture until hot.
8. In a blender, place the avocado, sour cream, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and mix until well blended. You should have a thick consistency.
9. Then add the avocado mixture to the pan with the chicken. Stir until well blended. Remove from heat and add cilantro at the end.
10. Heat corn tortillas on a griddle (griddle) or in the microwave.
11. Pour half of the hot green sauce on a baking sheet. The enchiladas also be cooked in a pot **.
12. Prepare the enchiladas one by one: completely submerged corn tortillas in hot green sauce left in the pan, to soften, place chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla and add a pinch of cheese, rolled up the tortillas and place in the baking dish. Continue preparing the enchiladas and laying them side by side.
13. Cover the enchiladas with the remaining hot green sauce, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 ° F. To serve, cover the enchiladas with greek yogurt or sour cream and onion and cilantro leftover. Top each enchilada with a slice of avocado.
* Vegetarian option : Replace the chicken with spaghetti squash. Preheat oven to 350 ° F. Cut the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place the squash face down in a baking dish with ½ cup of water, and bake for 40 minutes or until soft. Let cool and, with a fork, remove the pulp that looks like angel hair spaghetti type.
** Option to cook enchiladas in a saucepan : Prepare three green enchiladas. Heat a saucepan over medium heat, pour a little of the green sauce in the pan. Arrange enchiladas green sauce and pour over on them. Sprinkle cheese and add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, onion and cilantro. Cover for 3 minutes to warm up. Serve immediately on a plate.
Read more at Saborea Uno Hoy