Officials have authorized the resumption of construction work at this Brazilian metropolis’s World Cup stadium, where an accident earlier this week left two people dead.
The head of Sao Paulo’s emergency management office, Col. Jair Paca de Lima, on Thursday gave the green light for work to continue in all sections of Arena Corinthians, informally known as Itaquerão, except the one where the accident occurred.
The work is currently halted and Corinthians, the Sao Paulo soccer club that owns the stadium and will eventually play its league matches there, said it would resume on Monday after three days of mourning for the two victims.
The accident occurred Wednesday afternoon when a crane collapsed while being used to raise a several-hundred-ton metal roofing structure. The huge piece slammed into the facade of the stadium and then fell onto the cabin of a truck that was carrying one of the victims.
Paca de Lima agreed with the initial assessment by the stadium’s builder, Brazilian industrial conglomerate Odebrecht, and ruled out the possibility that the stands suffered structural damage or that the ground is unstable.
The causes of the accident are currently under investigation.
Odebrecht said earlier this month that the stadium, which will host the inaugural match of the 2014 World Cup on June 12 and several other contests, was 94 percent complete and that it expected it to be ready by FIFA’s end-of-December deadline.