1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Saturday February 22, 2014

Venezuelan Government Says 8 Die in Protests

Venezuelan Government Says 8 Die in Protests

Photo: Protest in Venezuela (@eulisef)

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Eight people have died and 137 injured in incidents related to the anti-government protest marches taking place in Venezuela’s streets since Feb. 12, Attorney General Luisa Ortega said Friday.

On Friday, 80 people will appear in court and another 24 defendants have been ordered held without bail, she said during her weekly program on Union Radio.

Public and private buildings have also been damaged, as have metro stations, police cars and the residences of two state governors.

Students and other opponents of leftist President Nicolas Maduro began taking to the streets last week to denounce government policies, high levels of crime and recurring shortages of consumer goods.

Ortega said that four people have died in Caracas and one each in the states of Carabobo, Sucre and Lara.

The dead include both supporters and opponents of the government, while 37 of the injured are officials, police and military personnel, the government official said.

One of the fatalities in the state of Carabobo was Julio Gonzalez, a public prosecutor who was killed when he lost control of his vehicle while trying to avoid a barricade on the highway before dawn.

The attorney general said the investigation into the deaths of Basil Alejandro Da Costa and Juan Carlos Montoya, the two college students fatally shot in Caracas on Feb. 12 after a protest, is almost concluded and that the results will be announced in the coming days.

Tags

There are no tags for this entry.