1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Wednesday April 27, 2011

State Owned Uruguayan TV Channel Has Been Operating for 12 Years Without Broadcasting Anything

State Owned Uruguayan TV Channel Has Been Operating for 12 Years Without Broadcasting Anything

Photo: Uruguay's Canal 8, 12 years not Broadcasting Anything

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

State owned Melo’s Channel 8 has studios, antennas, cameras, 7 workers and its own building, but hasn’t broadcast a single image in over a decade.

Every day, at 6 in the morning, the 7 workers of Channel 8 in Melo (some 240 miles of Montevideo, Uruguay), arrive at work to make sure the equipment is clean and in working conditions, for the day when somebody orders the reactivation of the channel’s operations, shut down since 1999.

“ 12 years ago, broadcasting was shutdown and ever since then the channel simply bridges the signal from Montevideo” said Pedro Saravia, national deputy for the area.

Saravia also said he found strange that neither the Ministry of Education nor the Ministry of Culture ever explained why this happened, or responded to the people’s petition to have the channel back on the air.

In its heyday, Channel 8 exported their signal to as far as Brazil, and even owned a mobile satellite unit, which hasn’t been used since the last time it was sent to cover the news in Montevideo.

Furthermore, all their equipment was replaced for brand new, state of the art equipment, only a few years before they closed down; since the channel is state owned, all that practically new equipment can’t be sold or rented, and is becoming outdated without even being used.