Photo: Tequila Three Amigos
Tequila maybe Mexico’s national drink but it is the world’s most beloved beverage that has been in existence since the 16th century.
Here are some quick and dirty facts:
• Tequila is produced from the agave plant and can only be produced in the state of Jalisco, Mexico in order to be called tequila. And please don’t confuse it with mescal.
• The agave plants takes up to 12 years to be ready to harvest.
• Tequila production is regulated by the Mexican government and is considered a protected national cultural symbol. Try stealing an agave plant and see what happens!!!
• Jose Cuervo is the Top Tequila Brand in terms of sales.
• The U.S. consumes 124.8 million liters of tequila a year. WOW
• There are five types of tequila that are differentiated by aging: Blanco (unaged), Reposado (aged two months), Añejo (aged 1 year), Extra Añejo (aged 3 years) and Joven (ages blended)
In honor of National Tequila Day, enjoy this Alacran Tequila recipe called the A.T.A. Astronaut:
- Grounded coffee and sugar
- Authentic Tequila Alacran (A.T.A.)
- Authentic Tequila Alacran’s iconic black shot glass or a regular shot glass
- Frost the top of the shot glass with ground coffee and sugar
- Fill ½ of lime juice and half of Authentic Tequila Alacran