Photo: King Juan Carlos
The 75-year-old king will remain hospitalized “from four to seven days,” surgeon Miguel Cabanela said.
The surgical procedure ended at 1:30 p.m. and the king was in the operating room for about two-and-a-half hours.
The infection caused by the prosthesis implanted last year has disappeared completely and the new implant went in perfectly, the surgeon said in a press conference.
King Juan Carlos is in good condition going into his rehabilitation because “he is very vigorous” and “has good musculature,” Dr. Cabanela said.
Cabanela, an expert on hip problems, was assisted by Dr. Robert Trousdale, a colleague at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
The king will be able to take trips of less than two hours “very soon” but will have to wait “six or eight weeks” before undertaking official visits abroad with long travel, the surgeon said.
The two surgeons removed the monarch’s infected left hip prosthesis on Sept. 24, implanting a temporary prosthesis.
The operation is the sixth that the king has undergone in the past two years and the 14th he has had during his life.
King Juan Carlos has undergone intensive antibiotic therapy since the infected hip implant was removed in September.
Queen Sofia went to Madrid’s Quiron Hospital to see the king after arriving on a flight from New York at Madrid’s Barajas airport.