Photo: Anthony Castro says his father belongs behind bars
The son of Ohio kidnapper Ariel Castro made it clear that even he believes his father deserves to be in jail.
On Monday, Anthony Castro appeared on NBC’s Today show and discussed his father’s recent plea deal.
Last week, 53-year-old Ariel Castro avoided the death penalty by pleading guilty to 937 counts. He now likely faces life in prison (technically plus 1,000 years) for the multiple crimes he committed by keeping three women hostage for a decade and impregnating at least two of them.
Though Anthony said his father extremely violent, he had no idea just how much of a monster he was, and admits he was horrified to learn about the women his father held captive for so long.
‘I was shocked because of the magnitude of such a crime,’ he said of his father. ‘I don’t think I could ever imagine anyone doing that that, let alone to find out it was my own flesh and blood, my father.’
As for his father’s likely sentence, Anthony called life in prison “the best possible sentence.’
‘I think if he really can’t control his impulses and he really doesn’t have any value for human life the way this case has shown, then behind bars is where he belongs for the rest of his life.’
Anthony has also said he has no plans to visit his father in prison.