Photo: Singer Michel Telo Says He's Not Worried About Song Authorship Case
Brazilian singer Michel Telo said that he is not in favor of a court blockade on the money collected from sales of his hit “Ai se eu te pego” until the controversy over the authorship of the song is resolved.
The funds were frozen by a court order issued by a judge on Monday in Joao Pessoa, the capital of the state of Paraiba, on the basis of a lawsuit by three women claiming they participated as co-authors in the writing of the music.
“I have nothing to do with that story. I’m just a musical performer. My assets are not blocked and I have all legal rights to interpret the music,” said Telo in a statement.
Last month, Brazilian singer Sharon Acioly, who is the composer of the song performed by Telo, announced an extrajudicial agreement with Karine Vinagre, Amanda Cruz and Aline Medeiros, three young women who claimed co-authorship of the song, but now three other young women are alleging that they also participated in writing the number.
The three who came to the out-of-court agreement argued that they made up the chorus of “Ai se eu te pego” in 2006 during a trip to the United States and two years later participated as dancers in one of Acioly’s concerts where they sang backup on the number, which the singer later made into a song she registered as her own along with musician Antonio Dyggs.
The blockade on the funds came in response to a request by students Marcella Ramalho, Maria Lucena and Amanda Cavalcanti, who said that they also participated in the composition of the chorus during the 2006 U.S. trip and they are demanding part of the funds earned with the hit, as performed by Telo.
Telo, who has just returned from a European tour, said his representatives have received “no legal notification about the matter ... (and) if there is any problem with the music, it must be resolved with the authors.”