Photo: Explosion in Rosario (Marcelo Manera)
Rescue teams on Wednesday resumed their search for 13 people who remain missing after the powerful explosion in an apartment building in the Argentine city of Rosario that killed at least 10 people.
Although on Tuesday the judge investigating the blast, Juan Carlos Curto, said that there had been 12 fatalities, on Wednesday the health minister of the province of Santa Fe, the capital of which is Rosario, Miguel Cappiello, said that only 10 deaths had been confirmed and 62 people had been injured.
In remarks to the media, Cappiello added that of the 62 people injured, 22 remain hospitalized, three of them in critical condition.
During the early morning on Wednesday, two people managed on their own to extricate themselves from under the ruins of the 10-story building devastated by the blast, which was caused by a large gas leak, the official Telam news agency reported.
Two people were arrested after the explosion, a gas technician and his assistant who were working in the basement of the apartment bloc minutes before the blast, and they will appear before the judge on Wednesday.
The explosion is “the worst tragedy in the history of Rosario,” the third-largest city in Argentina, located 300 kilometers (186 miles) west of Buenos Aires, Santa Fe Gov. Antonio Bonfatti said.