1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Monday September 16, 2013

REPORT:  13 Dead in Navy Yard Shooting Rampage, Shooter ID’d

REPORT:  13 Dead in Navy Yard Shooting Rampage, Shooter ID’d

Photo: Navy Shooting Rampage

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Thirteen people, including a gunman, died in a mass shooting Monday at the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters in Washington.

The dead gunman has been identified by the FBI as Aaron Alexis, a civilian contractor for the military from Texas.

“There is no reason” to think that the mass shooting, in which up to three gunmen may have participated, was a terrorist attack, Washington Mayor Vincent Gray told a press conference.

The chief of the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police, Cathy Lanier, earlier had said a shooter was among those killed, although authorities are still looking for at least one other man identified as black - like Alexis - about 40-50 years old, carrying “a long gun” and said to be dressed in an olive drab military uniform or military-style clothing.

Lanier said earlier that authorities had several reports suggesting that at least two men - one of them white - had been seen carrying firearms in the vicinity of the shootings, but police later located the white man in question and ruled him out as a suspect.

At present, the motive for the massacre, which began about 8:20 a.m., is not clear.

The 34-year-old Alexis died under circumstances that have not yet been clarified by the authorities but unconfirmed reports indicate he was shot dead in an exchange of gunfire with police.

Alexis’ military record indicates that he spent four years as a full-time Navy reservist between May 2007 and January 2011, when he was licensed as a contractor, the Pentagon said.

Authorities have not yet said how many people were wounded in the massacre, although Mayor Gray said that it was “a dozen or more.”