Photo: Propane gas was responsible for poisoning
At least 25 workers were poisoned on Thursday when they inhaled propane gas that leaked from some tanks located at a tobacco processing plant in the town of Licey al Medio in the northern Dominican province of Santiago.
The majority of the victims were laborers and some of them were in critical condition and had to be urgently transported to medical centers in the city of Santiago, Efe verified.
The incident occurred at the facilities of U.S.-financed General Cigar Dominicana, whose top executives were not available to give statements on the matter.
The Civil Defense director in the region, Francisco Arias, said that the workers were poisoned when the gas escaped from several tanks that were being handled inside a company building.
Arias said that at least 12 of the workers were women.
The workers were taken from the site in about 10 ambulances, Arias added.