1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Friday February 8, 2013

Police Question 8 in Connection with Tourist Rapes in Acapulco

Police Question 8 in Connection with Tourist Rapes in Acapulco

Photo: Playa Bonfil, Acapulco Mexico

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Investigators have questioned eight people in connection with the rapes of six Spanish tourists earlier this week outside the Mexican Pacific resort city of Acapulco, a police commander said.

The individuals are not under arrest and were brought in to give statements “simply to learn what they know about the matter,” state police chief Marcos Juarez Escalera said.

Gunmen raped the six Spanish tourists around 3:00 a.m. Monday in Playa Bonfil, located in the eastern section of Acapulco, one of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations.

The victims and several male companions were outside their bungalow when five masked assailants armed with handguns accosted the group.

After gagging the men, the attackers forced the group inside the bungalow and assaulted the six Spanish women, though they spared a Mexican woman who was with them.

The Guerrero state legislature, meanwhile, condemned the attacks on the tourists and called on authorities to find and punish those responsible for the rapes.

The Special Prosecutor’s Office for Sexual Crimes should “conduct the corresponding investigation precisely to clear up the truth about what happened,” the state legislature said in a statement.

“Guerrero cannot be at the mercy of criminals, it is not right that Guerrero residents who make an effort to contribute to the development of our state are exposed to any type of violence,” state lawmaker Karen Castrejon, the author of the statement, said.

Guerrero Attorney General Martha Elva Garzon said earlier this week that investigators had made “important advances” toward solving the case.

The victims’ ordeal lasted for about three hours and the assailants took PCs, cell phones, credit cards and other valuables when they left, Garzon said.

Acapulco, one of Mexico’s most famous tourist destinations, has been plagued by drug-related violence in recent years.

The Guerrero state government launched a security operation in 2011 with the support of the federal government to step up security in areas frequented by foreign and domestic tourists.

“Operation Safe Guerrero” was launched on Oct. 6, 2011, in an effort to reduce the soaring crime rate in the state.