Photo: New York Latin Culture award winners (New York Latin Culture)
New York Latin Culture, the guide to Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American New York, announced the New York Latin Culture Award honorees in a ceremony at Tous, the Spanish jewelry boutique in SoHo.
The Awards recognize New York government, education and culture leaders for their contributions to Latin culture in New York City in the previous year.
The New York Latin Culture Award honorees selected by the New York Latin Culture editors are:
- New York Government: NYC Latin Media & Entertainment Commission for promoting outstanding Latin cultural events in many disciplines throughout the year.
- World Government: Consulate General of Spain for producing Spain Culture New York, a leading resource for culture from Spain and all the Spanish-speaking countries.
- Education: King Juan Carlos Center at New York University for hosting outstanding cultural events of Spain and all Spanish-speaking countries.
- Dance: Ballet Hispanico for producing outstanding dance theater that draws on the entire Hispanic-Luso world for inspiration.
- Music: Carnegie Hall for bringing “Voices of Latin America” to all of New York’s diverse communities.
- Theatre: Jazz at Lincoln Center for bringing “The Most Amazing Story Ever Sung,” the first original Colombian Broadway musical to the City.
- Film: Film Society of Lincoln Center for presenting outstanding Hispanic-Luso film at its Latinbeat, Spanish Cinema Now, and New York Film Festivals, and throughout the year.
- Fashion: Oscar de la Renta for being a great American who happens to have a Hispanic heritage, and gives much to the community through his work in sharing the Spanish heritage of fashion with the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute.
- Health & Beauty: Concept Salon for putting art into their work and their work into art.
- Art: Pinta for bringing outstanding Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American art to the City through its highly-respected annual art show.
- Literature: Americas Society for amplifying the voice of great writers of the Americas over the decades.
- Food: GustOrganics for creating New York’s first 100% USDA certified organic restaurant and bar with a sustainable operating model that sets the standard for an entire industry.
- Drink: Mezcal Pierde Almas for turning a poor man’s drink into a sophisticated beverage and thereby creating an artisanal industry in rural Mexico.
- Sports: Smithfield NYC for bringing Hispanic-Luso sports from around the world to New York City in a family-friendly environment.