Photo: 'Napolean Dynamite' Drama: Efren Ramirez Tells Twin "Stop Pretending to Be Me!"
TMZ had revealed two things we did not know. 1) Napoleon Dynamite’s “Pedro,” played by Efren Ramirez, is a twin and 2) Efren no longer speaks to him after he impersonated him without permission.
According the site, after Napoleon Dynamite became a surprise hit, Efren was in such high demand for appearances that he asked his twin, Carlos, to stand in for him.
In 2008 however, Efren learned his brother was making appearances as him without permission and his lawyer sent Carlos a cease-and-desist letter, telling him to stop making appearances.
Though Carlos says he filled in for his brother because he was too busy to do it himself, he does admit to attending an event “without [Efren’s] knowledge as I was being immature and wanted to get back at him for a personal matter which involved the girl I was dating at the time.”
Carlos told TMZ the two barely speak anymore and Efren’s lawyer sent a letter telling him to “stop interfering with [Efren’s] personal and professional life” or he was going to sue Efren for $10 million dollars.
Random facts about the brothers:
- While many learned after the success of Napoleon Dynamite that star Jon Heder (Napoleon) was a twin, it seems very few realized Efren was also a twin.
- Carlos Ramirez joined the U.S. Air Force at 17 and served for eight years. served in Operation Desert Shield in Iraq, and Operation Joint Endeavor working NATO forces under a unified command in Bosnia.
- Efren was born Efren Antonio Ramirez de la Cruz.
- Efren married Iyari Limon in 1998, but the marriage was annulled in 1999.
- The brothers are 39 years old.
- Carlos claims 2004’s Napoleon Dynamite ruined his life.