Photo: Travelers' Choice (TripAdvisor)
TripAdvisor users have voted for the top 25 landmarks in the world for 2013.
The top Travelers’ Choice landmark was located in Latin America and the 25th most popular was Siena Cathedral in Siena, Italy.
The highest ranked landmark in the United States were the Bellagio Fountains in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Six of the top 25 landmarks can be found in Hispanic America.
Check out the top tourist attractions with their TripAdvisor ranking below.
22. Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- The cathedral is said to be the final resting place of Saint James the Greater, one of the apostles of Jesus Christ. It is also a destination of the Way of St. James, a major pilgrimage route.
20. Cristo Redentor (Statue of Christ the Reedemer)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- The 2nd largest statue of Jesus in the world measures 98 feet tall overlooking Rio. The statue has become an icon for Rio de Janeiro and Brazil.
16. The Alhambra
- Originally built as a fortress in 889 the complex was later converted into a royal palace in 1333 by Yusuf I, the Sultan of Granada.
- Originally a Moorish fort, the buildings were converted to a royal palace. It is the oldest royal palace still in use in Europe.
6. Great Cathedral and Mosque
- Formerly a medieval Islamic mosque, this Catholic cathedral is seen as the one of the most accomplished monuments of Renaissance and Moorish architecture.
1. Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu, Peru
- Archaeologists believe that Machu Picchu was built as an estate for the Inca emperor Pachacuti and is often referred to as to the “Lost City of the Incas.”
Photo Credits: TripAdvisor