Photo: La Policiaca
Investigators are trying to determine whether a body found last week in a vacant lot in San Jose is that of a Mexican journalist who disappeared in June, the press reported.
Pascual Tarin Avila’s relatives in Mexico have been contacted by the Judicial Investigations Agency to see whether or not the body found last Tuesday is his, the La Nacion newspaper said.
The 53-year-old Tarin, who worked as a reporter for the El Norte de Cananea newspaper in the northern Mexican state of Sonora, was reported missing in Costa Rica on June 14.
He had entered Costa Rica by land from Nicaragua on Sept. 8, 2011, and again on May 20, 2012, but there was no record of his departure.
Two bodies in an advanced state of decomposition were found Tuesday in Escazu, a neighborhood in western San Jose.
Investigators said the bodies might be those of the Mexican reporter and Miguel Centeno Rodriguez, a 40-year-old Nicaraguan citizen.
Centeno Rodriguez’s family told police that he had not been heard from since June 14 and was in the company of a Mexican.
The bodies did not have gunshot or stab wounds, and investigators are trying to determine the cause of death, the Judicial Investigations Agency said.