Photo: Kidnapping Suspects
Three more suspects have been arrested in connection with the May 26 kidnapping of 13 people from a capital bar and their subsequent murder, a Mexican federal prosecutor said.
Jonathan Robles Gonzalez, Pedro Francisco Paz Lopez and Fernando Fernandez Sanchez are implicated “in the offenses of kidnapping and deprivation of life of the 13 people found in the clandestine grave in Tlalmanalco,” Renato Sales told reporters.
Federal police took the three men by helicopter from Toluca, capital of Mexico state, to the federal Attorney General’s Office in Mexico City, where the suspects were paraded before the media.
Present for the press conference was Mexico City district attorney Rodolfo Rios Garza, who thanked the federal AG’s office for assisting his investigation.
The bodies of the people snatched in May from the Heaven bar in Mexico City’s upscale Zona Rosa district were discovered last month by federal authorities pursuing leads in a firearms case unrelated to the Heaven kidnappings.
Investigators found the mass grave - covered with cement, asbestos and lime - on the La Mesa ranch in Tlalmanalco, Mexico state.
Only two of the 13 families have received the remains of their slain loved ones.
Authorities say the mass abduction and murder was carried out in reprisal for the May 24 killing of Horacio Vite Angel, a reputed member of the La Union de Insurgentes drug gang, by the rival La Union de Tepito group.
One of the people taken from the bar and killed, 16-year-old Jerzy Ortiz, was the son of Jorge “El Tanque” Ortiz Reyes, the jailed boss of La Union de Tepito, officials said.