1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Sunday May 8, 2011

UPDATE:  All 14 Bodies Recovered from Mexican Mine

UPDATE:  All 14 Bodies Recovered from Mexican Mine

Photo: Mexico Mine Site

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

UPDATE: Rescue crews have recovered all the bodies from the coal mine in Northern Mexico, putting the final death toll at 14.

Mexican Labor Secretary Javier Lozano says the rescue phase has ended and the government will start a rigorous investigation into mine safety in Mexico.
The last body was found early Sunday and was that of a 38-year-old miner.


Original-Rescuers have discovered 4 bodies from the Mexican coal mine that suffered an explosion this past week bring the number to 11 bodies that have been removed so far.

Javier Lozano says at this point—more than four days after the blast—there is no hope of finding alive the remaining miners trapped inside.


Three miners remain inside the mine.

The mine had been operating for only 20 days and had 25 workers who were not unionized, Lozano said.

He described such small, makeshift coal mines as “unsafe places,” calling them “irregular, deadly traps, as we are seeing.”