Photo: Massacre in Mexico
The mayor of the Mexican border metropolis of Ciudad Juarez posted a reward of 300,000 pesos ($23,300) for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons behind the slaughter of eight members of a family inside their home.
Juarez authorities will cooperate with the Chihuahua state Attorney General’s Office to solve the case, Enrique Serrano told a press conference.
The eight victims, including three children under 10, were stabbed to death in the wee hours of Sunday.
The bodies of the children and two young women were left in the bedrooms of the residence on Ciudad Juarez’s south side. Police found the adult male victims tied to chairs.
The mayor was joined for the press conference by Chihuahua’s deputy attorney general for the northern part of the state, Enrique Villarreal, who said investigators are pursuing several lines of enquiry.
Ruling out involvement by organized crime, Villarreal noted that three vehicles had been stolen from in front of the residence and suggested friends or relatives might have been involved in the crime.
A child and nine adults were fatally shot inside their Juarez- area home on Sept. 23.
Assailants attacked the residence during a party to celebrate victory in a baseball game, the Chihuahua AG’s office said at the time.
Chihuahua, which borders Texas, is one of the most violent states in Mexico, thanks largely to the presence of the Juarez, Sinaloa and Zetas drug cartels.