Photo: Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas
Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith have decided to split after 18 years of marriage, the actress’s rep Robin Baum of Slate PR told Efe.
In a communique, the couple said “we have thoughtfully and consensually decided to finalize our almost twenty years marriage in a loving and friendly manner honoring and respecting each other, our family and friends and the beautiful time we have spent together.”
News of the divorce had been advanced on the TMZ Web site, which later posted the document of separation filed in the name of Griffith by attorney Laura Wasser with the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Griffith, 56, cites “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for their separation in the legal document.
The actress asked that Banderas, 53, provide alimony and child support for their daughter Stella del Carmen, who asked to live with her and of whom both parents will have legal custody, though the teen will turn 18 on Sept. 24.
Banderas and Griffith wed in London on May 14, 1996, following a romance that kindled when the two were shooting the 1995 Fernando Trueba comedy “Two Much.”
Besides Stella del Carmen, Griffith has two other children from previous marriages, Alexander and Dakota.