Photo: Man Arrested in Connection to San Diego Shooting Spree
At least one person has been arrested in connection with a series of shootings on two San Diego freeways that occurred on Monday.
Tuesday, police say they have made an arrest in Los Angeles County in connection to Monday’s shootings.
In San Diego Monday, two freeways had to be shut down after a shooting spree began around 10:30 a.m., with victims appearing to be shot at random. Within 20 minutes of the initial reports, three additional shooting were reported on San Diego County interstates.
Reports went out and signs along the freeways were displayed to drivers to be on the look out for a white 2006 Chevy Malibu with the California license plate 5POM917.
Witnesses told police there were two people in the car and that they were using a semi-automatic gun.
Enrique Ayon, 24, was identified as a person of interest in the case, as he is the registered owner of the vehicle.
Police called the incident “truly bizarre” and said it did not have the characteristic elements of a road rage incident, partially because the shootings appeared to be random. There was no interaction between the victims and the shooter(s) prior to the firing, police said.
The first victim called 911 at 10:43 a.m., after being shot in the leg near an I-805 offramp in San Diego. Shortly after, a police received reports that vehicles on the I-805-Highway 163 area and on the I-5 near Del Mar in National City had been fired at. Police believe the National City shootings occurred first, but that the driver delayed calling police, as no one was injured. That driver had just dropped his daughter off at daycare, and the bullet struck luggage that was placed were she had been sitting just minutes before.
Tuesday, police confirmed that they arrested a “person of interest” but did not say whether it was Ayon.
One of the other vehicles fired upon was an ambulance, though no one was hurt except the 26-year-old who was sent to a local hospital, treated, and released within hours.