1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Thursday July 28, 2011

EU Issues Cholera Travel Alert for Dominican Republic, 6 Tourists Affected in Punta Cana

EU Issues Cholera Travel Alert for Dominican Republic, 6 Tourists Affected in Punta Cana

Photo: Cholera at Punta Cana

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

The Dominican Republic hotel sector has announced a series of measures to prevent the spread of cholera, after six tourists - two Europeans and four Chileans - contracted the disease after a stay in Punta Cana.

Speaking this week, the president of the National Hotel and Restaurant Association (Asonahores), Juan Llibre, said that “unfortunately we have to learn to live with cholera” which along with dengue, malaria and leptospirosis are endemic in the tropics.

Earlier this year dozens fell ill at the five-star Casa de Campo resort due to eating cholera contaminated lobster.  Meanwhile EU health officials issued a travelers health warning about the cholera risk in DR and Haiti.  More than a million EU tourists travel to DR annually. 

According to figures from the Ministry of Public Health, 87 deaths have been associated with cholera and some 2000 confirmed cases out of 13,200 suspected patients since late last year.

Llibre said that the hotels and restaurants were taking tough measures to ensure the disease does not spread.