Photo: During Hurricane Irene Many Wondered, Who Is Miguel Bloombito and What Does ‘He’ Want?
Just as New York and the rest of the East Coast were preparing for Hurricane Irene, with announcements from NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg coming out in both Spanish and English, one person was having a little fun at the mayor’s expense.
Ahead of Irene, which would later be downgraded to a tropical storm, Rachel Figueroa-Levin (@Jewyorican), a Jewish Puerto Rican mother in New York, created a Twitter account with the username ‘Miguel Bloombito’ (@ElBloombito), and began posting warnings about the incoming storm in what can only be described as Spanglish, in a way, making fun of Mayor Bloomberg’s sincere attempts to warn his city in both Spanish and English, with the Spanish being not quite perfect.
Figueroa-Levin has since said she started the parody account simply to entertain her friends, and certainly did not expect it to “take off the way it did.”
As for Figueroa-Levin, her creation, Bloombito gained 10,000 Twitter followers in just a matter of days (as of Monday afternoon there are over 11,000) and she is using it too do some good with, one Bloombito tweet saying, “Necesito helpayudo para el cleanup del Irene! Por favor to signo up to volunteeriento at nyc.gov/service.”
Some of HS-News’ favorite tweets from before, during, and after the storm:
- Los windy estan mucho rapido. El tropical force. No standing el proxmio las windowos! Los branchos del tree!
- Muchos trees esta falling downo. No stando under los trees. Que splat!
- El hurricano ahora es un stormo de trpoical. Still mucho dangerouso! Remaindo en el casa!
- Nuevo Yorko: Yo soy mucho proud to be tu mayorador!
- Coño Edisono restorando el power by el Tuesdayo.
- Cuidado! Stayo away para los downed linos de power. Que Electrocuto! El BUZZZ!