Photo: Cornell Square Park
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy announced today that charges have been filed against two offenders in connection with a shooting last Thursday in the Back of the Yards neighborhood where 13 people were shot including three-year-old Deonta Howard. The shootings occurred around 10:15 p.m. at the basketball court of the Cornell Square Park.
Nobody was killed in the Back of the Yard shooting rampage.
While both offenders played significant roles in the shootings, the police said, neither is believed to be a shooter, and the investigation into the incident continues.
Arrested were Kewane Gatewood, 20, and Byron Champ, 21, each charged with three counts of Attempt Murder and Aggravated Battery with a Firearm. Champ is a convicted felon and documented gang member. He was previously convicted in July 2012 and was sentenced to Boot Camp at the Cook County Department of Corrections.
“Not only do we believe a military-grade weapon was used in this shooting, but one of the offenders charged tonight was convicted of Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon/Possession of a firearm by a Felon little more than a year ago,” said Superintendent McCarthy.
The two suspects are due to make an appearance in bond court Tuesday.