1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



Latino Daily News

Monday March 21, 2011

CENSUS: 42 States Info Released, Hispanic Population Accounts 54% of All Growth

CENSUS: 42 States Info Released, Hispanic Population Accounts 54% of All Growth

Photo: Latino Population Boom

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Based on the aggregation of the population residing on the 42 states released thus far by Census:

o Hispanic population growth is exceeding the most recent Census estimates by 4.3 percent.
o More than 45 million Hispanics in the 42 states released as of 3-17-11.
o Hispanics contributed 54 percent of the overall population growth in those states.
o From Census 2000-2010, the Hispanic population in these states grew by 45 percent.
o Hispanics are growing four times faster than the total U.S. population.
o More than 14 million “new Hispanics” were added to the population of the 42 states released by Census, compared to 11.8 million “new non-Hispanics” added to the residents of the 42 states released by Census in 2000.

The Census 2010 figures are showing the Hispanic population is less concentrated than 10 years ago. In 2000, 56 percent of the Hispanic population residing in the 42 states released by Census resided either in California or Texas. By 2010, 52 percent of Hispanics reside either in Texas or California.

The latest figures released for Florida, Georgia, Montana, New Mexico, Kentucky, Alaska, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Tennessee show:

o Hispanics contributed nearly 55 percent of the population growth in Florida. The Hispanic population is growing six times faster than non-Hispanics in the state.

o The Hispanic population in Georgia grew 96 percent in the last decade. Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in the state.

o In Montana, the Hispanic population is growing seven times faster than non-Hispanics in the state. In the last 10 years, the Hispanic population in the state grew 58 percent.

o Hispanics in New Mexico accounted for 78 percent of the growth.

o The Hispanic population in Kentucky more than doubled in the last decade.

o In Alaska, the Hispanic population grew about 52 percent since Census 2000. Among Hispanic population growth in the state, Adults 18 plus accounted for 66 percent of Hispanic growth in the state while Hispanics under 18 contributed the remaining 34 percent of the growth.

o In Minnesota, the Hispanic population grew nearly 75 percent since Census 2000.

o The Hispanic population in North Dakota grew 73 percent since Census 2000. 1 out of every 5 individuals added to the total population in the state is of Hispanic origin.

o In Tennessee, the Hispanic population more than doubled in the last decade.

“With the data for 42 states revealed, we have a real snapshot of the new face of our nation being driven by the explosive demographic growth of U.S. Hispanics,” said Elizabeth Ellers, executive vice president, Corporate Research, Univision Communications Inc.