Photo: Joaquin El Chapo Guzman
Guatemala’s government yesterday apologized for what he called a “misunderstanding” about an alleged confrontation in which authorities said could have killed the most wanted drug lord in Mexico, Joaquin El Chapo Guzman. Guatemalan Interior Minister, Mauricio Lopez Bonilla said the information was handled based on testimony from residents, but during an investigation with soldiers and police hey were unable to verify the information.
According to the official, the misinformation was the result of “chaotic information” that was generated by the news media. This created confusion and grew into the unconfirmed version of the fall of drug lord Guzman.
“There is no evidence, no finding that allows us to say that it happened or did not happen,” the official said at a news conference.
On Thursday night, Lopez himself spoke about the possibility of the death of Guzman Loera in a clash between drug gangs, but hours later retracted.
Later authorities said they could note even confirm if there had been a confrontation.
“There were rumors that we have not even been able to determine its origin. There is talk of a journalist of Guatemala making the first incorrect assumption.
Read more in Spanish at Blog del Narco
Read more Narco News here