Photo: Juan Martin del Potro
Argentine tennis star Juan Martin del Potro traveled to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, to consult Dr. Richard Berger about the recurring pain in his left wrist, the tennis player’s press chief, Jorge Viale, said.
The 25-year-old Del Potro began experiencing pain in his left wrist at the start of the Australian Open and it got worse as matches dragged on, Viale told Efe.
Del Potro, who won his lone Grand Slam title at the 2009 U.S. Open, missed nearly the entire 2010 season with a right wrist injury.
The world No. 4 “had planned to visit Dr. Berger sometime this year to continue with the treatment, (but) as (the) pain worsened, he decided to fly” to Minnesota on Monday night, his management team said.
“Del Potro had previously received injections in his left wrist during last year’s US Open. He first suffered pain at the 2012 Western & Southern Open and US Open and at the Open 13, Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship, the BNP Paribas Open and Sony Open Tennis in 2013,” the ATP said in a statement posted on its Web site.
The injury could keep Del Potro from playing in next week’s tournament in Buenos Aires, where Spanish world No. 1 Rafael Nadal, who suffered a back injury in the Australian Open final on Sunday, is scheduled to play.